Thursday, January 26, 2012

And Then I Started This Blog...


After feeling a bit of pressure from several people I know, I've decided to go ahead and start this blog. I will do my very best to update it every day, but please be aware that, well, sometimes that's not possible.

Let me explain.

You see, I'm an American Dad. To four children (current ages are 3, 5, 9, and 11). Why do we have four children? Because our three-year-old has killed any remaining desire to have more. And I use the word "have" loosely. It's more like we refuse to allow any more children to come live with us. You see, all four of our children are adopted. They were each one of our many foster children we've had during our ten-year tenure as foster parents. And then we closed our home. Praise the Lord.

It's not that I didn't enjoy the experience of being a foster parent, it's just that, well, it's not exactly the easiest thing I've ever done. It's rewarding, though!  Just kind of tough.  And you don't "get over it" when yet another child leaves your home. It's hard each and every time you have to go through it.  Although I will admit that there are times when it's far easier than others... But I digress. I was telling you about me.

After all, this is an op-ed about my life and times, as the name on the blog up there suggests.

As an American Dad, there are certain things that go along with it.  I'm sure that many are universal, but since I'm not from, say, Switzerland, I can't say for certain that the things that make up my being a Dad are necessarily the same as they are anywhere else in the world. So let's just get on with it.

Between my wife and I, I am the creative one. Yes, that means that I get to do a lot of things that are normally reserved for what many would call the "woman's" job. But not being a sexist pig, well, I just say these things are a parent's job. For example, I bake and decorate all the birthday cakes for my children. That includes making a mountain of cake, then carving whatever shape suits their fancy out of said mountain of cake, then decorate it as they see fit.

I also make--yes, make--my children's Halloween costumes. If that includes sewing, well, I taught myself how to sew and follow a pattern, so that's what happens.

I also do the scrapbooking. If you think this makes me less of a man, I really couldn't care less. 

I have coached my younger two children's soccer teams (my older two sons are excellent at the sport, so they get better coaches), as well as take them out running, playing various sports, hiking, you name it. The normal stuff an American Dad does. Including taking my children to church. 

It's very important to me that my children grow up in a church environment. Yes, I do cling to my God and my guns. Sorry to disappoint. Well, maybe not *too* sorry. It's just who I am.

And, yes, I cook. You'll probably see a lot of recipes I have created put up here. You can always skip them if you prefer, but I'll still put them up for anyone to use.

And, like a very great many American Dads out there, I struggle with my weight. This is all changing this year, as I'm going to lose ten pounds a month for the entire year. That's my goal. I will do everything within my power to do it. Be prepared for some posts on it. Don't say I didn't warn you.

What you will *NOT* see on here are things like cursing. Yes, I do follow several blogs where they routinely do things like drop the F-bomb. I do not think I'm better than they are in the slightest. I will just do my best to make sure that this is a family-friendly site. If I won't say it in front of my children, I won't say it here.

Please keep in mind that I can be very sarcastic about things, as well as get on my soap box. You will most likely see some posts on things you may not agree with. I'm OK with that. I can't expect everyone to agree with me 100% of the time. Although I can encourage you to come over to my side of the argument, as things are so incredibly clear over here. 

So, that's it for today, my friends. I hope you'll be back tomorrow, as I've already got several ideas for some posts that interest me.

Leave you comments below, but be forewarned: they are monitored. If I believe it's spam, or gratuitous language is used, well, it's my site and I can deny the comment if I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment